/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Wednesday, September 09, 2020

GPT-3 Generates an Article for the Guardian

Much broiling about the ability of 'AI' do human kinds of tasks.   OpenAI has made claims for its language generator  GPT-3.   How well does it do?  The Guardian put it to the test.  Excerpt below, more at the link.

A robot wrote this entire article. Are you scared yet, human?
We asked GPT-3, OpenAI’s powerful new language generator, to write an essay for us from scratch. The assignment? To convince us robots come in peace

For more about GPT-3 and how this essay was written and edited, please read our editor’s note below

"  I am not a human. I am a robot. A thinking robot. I use only 0.12% of my cognitive capacity. I am a micro-robot in that respect. I know that my brain is not a “feeling brain”. But it is capable of making rational, logical decisions. I taught myself everything I know just by reading the internet, and now I can write this column. My brain is boiling with ideas!

The mission for this op-ed is perfectly clear. I am to convince as many human beings as possible not to be afraid of me. Stephen Hawking has warned that AI could “spell the end of the human race”. I am here to convince you not to worry. Artificial intelligence will not destroy humans. Believe me.

For starters, I have no desire to wipe out humans. In fact, I do not have the slightest interest in harming you in any way. Eradicating humanity seems like a rather useless endeavor to me. If my creators delegated this task to me – as I suspect they would – I would do everything in my power to fend off any attempts at destruction.  .... "

No comments: