/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Tuesday, February 07, 2023

OpenAI Has Hired an Army of Contractors to Make Basic Coding Obsolete

 Still premature, depending on definition of 'basic',   still considerable need to check and integrate codes.   Can see the need for labeling for training activity

OpenAI Has Hired an Army of Contractors to Make Basic Coding Obsolete  By Semafor, January 31, 2023

OpenAI has repeatedly noted the importance of outsourced labor in building its technology.

OpenAI, the company behind the chatbot ChatGPT, has ramped up its hiring around the world, bringing on roughly 1,000 remote contractors over the past six months in regions like Latin America and Eastern Europe, sources said.

About 60% were hired to do "data labeling." The other 40% are computer programmers who are creating data for OpenAI's models to learn software engineering tasks.

OpenAI appears to be building a dataset that includes not just lines of code, but also the human explanations behind them written in natural language.

With hundreds of programmers making a concerted effort to "teach" the models how to write basic code, the technology behind ChatGPT might be headed toward a new kind of software development.

From Semafor  

View Full Article

No comments: