/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Towards Better Forecasting: Less Noise

A forecast prediction is key for any business decision. Short intro, then the entire podcast follows at the link.

Wharton’s Barbara Mellers and Ville Satopӓӓ from INSEAD discuss their research on the impact of noise on forecast accuracy.

From predicting the weather to possible election outcomes, forecasts have a wide range of applications. Research shows that many forces can interfere with the process of predicting outcomes accurately — among them are bias, information and noise. Barbara Mellers, a Wharton marketing professor and Penn Integrates Knowledge (PIK) professor at the University of Pennsylvania, and Ville Satopӓӓ, assistant professor of technology and operations management at INSEAD, examined these forces and found that noise was a much bigger factor than expected in the accuracy of predictions. The professors recently spoke with Knowledge@Wharton about their working paper, “Bias, Information, Noise: The BIN Model of Forecasting.” (Listen to the podcast at the top of this page.)

An edited transcript of the conversation follows.

Knowledge@Wharton: In your paper, you propose a model for determining why some forecasters and forecasting methods do better than others. You call it the BIN model, which stands for bias, information and noise. Can you explain how these three elements affect predictions?

Ville Satopӓӓ: Let me begin with information. This describes how much we know about the event that we’re predicting. In general, the more we know about it, the more accurately we can forecast. For instance, suppose someone asked me to predict the occurrence of a series of future political events. If I’m entirely ignorant about this, I don’t really follow politics, I don’t follow the news, I barely understand the questions you’re asking me, I would predict around 50% for these events.

On the other hand, suppose I follow the news and I’m interested in the topic. My predictions would be then more informed, and hence they would be not around 50% anymore. Instead, they would start to tilt in the direction of what would actually happen.

At the extreme case, we could think of me having some sort of a crystal ball that would allow me to see into the future. This would make me perfectly informed, and hence I would predict zero or 100% for each one of the events, depending on what I see in the crystal ball. This just illustrates how information can drive our predictions. It introduces variability into them that is useful because it is based on actual information. Because of that, it correlates with the outcome.   .... " 

No comments: