/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Friday, June 08, 2018

Joseph Novak and Learning/Sharing through Concept Mapping

We very actively used some of Prof Joseph Novak's work to capture knowledge and use it to capture, understand and improve process.  That story is told in the Concept Mapping tag below.  The method is not used enough. I happened on this piece where he tells the story of his life and research.  Links to free PDF and videos.   Highly recommended.

Joe Novak tells his story
Prof. Joseph Novak is a Senior Research Scientist at IHMC and Professor Emeritus at Cornell University. He is recognized worldwide for the development of concept maps, but his lifelong effort as a researcher, professor and business consultant paints a much  broader picture of a relentless scientist fighting to have his ideas accepted by peers and the community in the US, while widely accepted in the rest of the world.

Prof. Novak has shared his lifetime work in his autobiography and a presentation recorded in videos. In his words:

This book and the videos present the story of my life-long search for better ways to help people learn. It begins with the story of my early family life that shaped and sustained my commitment to improve educating by building better theoretic foundations and better tools to understand and facilitating learning. Some of the academic challenges I faced are also discussed, as well as some of the successes we have had, especially with the development of the concept map tool now used in schools, businesses and organizations all around the world. My wife, Joan, my children, and my students have played an important role in my work, and some of their stories are included. I have chosen to publish these stories on the WWW so it would be available to anyone who is interested at no cost .... "

No comments: