/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Saturday, June 18, 2022

Talking Science Writing

Great piece by Sabine Hossenfelder, a favorite physics and science writer I read.     She rightly points out the main problems with popular science writing today. I admit to many of the errors she mentions.  It is hard to do many of these things .   I am more of an alerter to science  Its difficult  to put error bars on everything you write or quote.   I hope this inspires me and others to do better.  

By Sabine Hossenfelder

Why does Science News Suck So Much?
Her main topics and examples:

0:00 Intro
00:39 Show me your uncertainty estimate
1:43 Cite your sources
3:07 Put a date on it
3:52 Tell me the history
4:42 Don't oversimply it
5:44 It depends, but on what?
6:46 Tell me the whole story
7:37 Spare me the human interest stuff
8:13 Don't forget that science is fallible
8:59 Science doesn't work by consensus
11:14 Sponsor message

No comments: