/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Monday, February 22, 2010

Coffee and the Artificial Nose

Short piece on coffee and the artificial nose. It was an area that we examined closely and tried to understand from both linking to the real world world of the agricultural commodity called coffee, and how it related to simulated process changes like roasting. I still have my doubts that these methods can yet detect the parts-per-billion requirements that drive coffee flavor. Still all these sensor improvements are worth following, the sense of detailed machine smell will ultimately be solved. Much more in this blog on the sense of smell.
-

1 comment:

Paul said...

I'm not so sure. I remember P&G bought one of those MS-nose devices. Last I heard it was too tough to run & they stuck it in a cupboard. Any news?

I recognize your recognizing coffee system. It was published in Analytical Chemistry a few years ago. It is a nice way of classifying aromas, but has no direct connection with smell. As you imply, the nose and this sensor have very different sensitivities.