/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Shouting at Cortana and the Value of Voice

Though a keen observer and frequent user of voice activation in the smart home, I rarely talk to my otherwise much in use laptop.  I was at first impressed with aspects of MS Cortana, but soon found it boring.  It did not support what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it.   So I stopped talking and forgot that Cortana was there.   Now word that you can soon talk to it from further away, and activate it more readily.  Is that enough?  Am using Windows 10, so I am all set up to test the idea.

Intel, Microsoft going long distance with Cortana on Windows 10 PCs
You'll also be able to shout 'Hey Cortana' to wake up PCs from standby
By Agam Shah  

Intel and Microsoft are working on technology allowing you to shout out commands to Cortana or activate a Windows 10 PC from sleep mode without being all that close to it.

The chipmaker is working with Microsoft to add "far-field speech recognition" technology, where the user can shout out Cortana commands to a Windows PC from longer distances.

"Soon, you’ll be able to speak to your PC from a distance and access all of your information on the device and in the cloud," said Navin Shenoy, senior vice president and general manager for the Client Computing Group for Intel, in a blog entry this week.    ... " 

No comments: