/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Monday, September 21, 2015

Junk Charts: Data Visualizations Reviewed

Recently connected with Kaiser Fung,   Who writes the famous Junk Charts Blog that I have often mentioned here.  I had read about bad visualizing years ago in books like:  How to Lie with Statistics, But never saw a source that systematically looked at criticizing and improving current data visualization.  Kaiser brought that home to me.  Taught me many things.  Thanks Kaiser!

Here is his blog intro:  (Go to the link for details)

Junk Charts is made by Kaiser Fung, the Web’s first data visualization critic. I discuss what makes graphics work, and how to make them better. Think chartjunk + junk art.

Here is my first post from nine years ago. These are the posts with the most (clicks): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. There are some things I say over and over again: the Trifecta Checkup, the self-sufficiency test, bumps charts, small multiples, the power of aggregation. I carefully tag all posts with topics so clicking on map shows all posts about maps. A list of topics is on the right column. Here is a call for more dataviz criticism. ... 

Here is my other blog, about statistics and Big Data. Here is my twitter feed, aggregating both blogs. If you prefer RSS, there's one feed for Junk Charts, and one for Big Data Plainly Spoken.  .... " 

See also his recent book:  Numbersense, which I read this year.  Great stuff for anyone that deals with numbers.

No comments: