/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Friday, August 29, 2008

Serious Games Institute

Recent posts reminded me of the Serious Games Institute. Check out their site and especially some of their research and case studies. They are also advertising the Serious Virtual Worlds Conference on Sept 11-12 in South Korea, wish that I could attend.

I remain excited about the idea of using game-style solutions for collaboration, competition and problem solving. I have now seen many prototypes but I have not seen the details of too many completely successful games in business. They are all enticing and fun and may interest some for a while, but don't seem to have sticking power. To do them right they are also expensive to create.

The related vision of serious virtual worlds also has a similar problem. Virtual worlds today are hard to strictly script, while games work best when focused to a problem. Combining the two for real business problems is where we have to go.

No comments: