/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Wednesday, October 08, 2014

Virtual Reality and Empathy

Can a set of goggles make you nicer?   In the BBC:  At the Stanford Virtual Human Interaction Lab.  Quite a long look at experiments with the idea of altering behavior using VR.

 " ... to see for myself just how powerful virtual reality technology has become, and I’m soon to find out that there’s some truth to the notion that virtual environments can change the way people behave in the physical world. In the day ahead, I’ll be both utterly terrified and behaving like a superhero – and the effects on my behaviour will linger for days afterwards.... 

Given the fact that mere minutes in VR managed to change my behaviour outside of the lab, I am inclined to take heed of Bailenson’s promise about the persuasive power of his technology. Yet at the same time, I can’t wait to spend more time in virtual worlds. I just hope I don’t have to walk across any more deep pits.  ... " 

No comments: