/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Friday, October 30, 2015

IOT, a Nightmare?

This points back to needing better IOT standards and methods.   I am seeing this already as I attach a few new devices to a still relatively simple smart home.

" ... You’ve heard the hype: The Internet of Things (IoT) will transform the way we live and work, bring us untold benefits like cutting our utility bills and warning us when the milk has gone sour, and be the engine for the next great economic boom. McKinsey claims, for example, that the IoT could have an impact of $11.1 trillion per year by 2025 — about 11% of the world economy, by McKinsey’s estimate.

I’m not an economist, so I can’t comment on McKinsey’s estimates. But based on my recent experiences with Internet access built into a variety of “things” in my house, the IoT could become our worst personal IT nightmare ..." 

" ... Once upon a time, being your home’s IT director meant knowing how to troubleshoot one or two PCs. Then you had to learn how to troubleshoot wireless networks. After that came smartphones and tablets. Soon it will be every device you own. How many hours do you think you’ll be spending being your house’s IT director in the IoT future? More than you want to spend. Certainly more than I do. Because I have seen the IoT future, and it doesn’t work. .. " 

No comments: