/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Wednesday, June 06, 2018

JP Morgan on Smart Shopping Carts

Was struck by the shopping cart mention, which we spent lots of time on.   See the tag.  Have not seen a real move yet, but the direction here is more of of the rolling robotics type.  Note the apparent strong interest of JP Morgan in robotic AI.

AI needs to start pulling its weight and controlling our shopping carts
Manuela Veloso is tired of dumb items on wheels.   In Technology Review by Erin Winick  

Artificial intelligence is in our phones, beginning to control our money, and giving robots some decision-making powers. But Carnegie Mellon professor Manuela Veloso, incoming head of JPMorgan’s AI research division, is frustrated that things aren’t further along. “I came from the Boston airport last night and I didn’t see a single mobile robot anywhere on my way here,” she said.

After her decades of work in AI research, Veloso is ready to see more mobile robots in our everyday lives. She envisions a future where everything with wheels, from suitcases to shopping carts, will automatically follow you at a single command. “Every time I enter a supermarket and I push this cart, I say, ‘Why can’t this cart follow me?’” said Veloso. “These carts should all be automated.” .... ' 

No comments: