/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Thursday, November 29, 2018

AI and the Barrier of Meaning: Human level AI?

Excerpt from NYT Op Ed, Good thoughts.  Human level AI is the intelligence of context.

Artificial Intelligence Hits the Barrier of Meaning

Machine learning algorithms don’t yet understand things the way humans do — with sometimes disastrous consequences.   By Melanie Mitchell

" .... Ms. Mitchell is Professor of Computer Science at Portland State University.
The Facebook founder, Mark Zuckerberg, recently declared that over the next five to 10 years, the company will push its A.I. to “get better than human level at all of the primary human senses: vision, hearing, language, general cognition.” Shane Legg, chief scientist of Google’s DeepMind group, predicted that “human-level A.I. will be passed in the mid-2020s.”

As someone who has worked in A.I. for decades, I’ve witnessed the failure of similar predictions of imminent human-level A.I., and I’m certain these latest forecasts will fall short as well. The challenge of creating humanlike intelligence in machines remains greatly underestimated. Today’s A.I. systems sorely lack the essence of human intelligence: understanding the situations we experience, being able to grasp their meaning. The mathematician and philosopher Gian-Carlo Rota famously asked, “I wonder whether or when A.I. will ever crash the barrier of meaning.” To me, this is still the most important question.   ... "

No comments: