/* ---- Google Analytics Code Below */

Friday, July 26, 2019

Google Gives 100K Google Minis to the Paralyzed

Google is giving out free devices for the paralyzed.    Great effort and also a way to illustrate the particular value of assistants for paralytics and other related  accessibility applications.  Read the below testimony to its value:

Google Nest: For individuals with paralysis, Google Nest gives help at home  in Google Blog.

Editor’s note: Today's post comes from Garrison Redd, who shares how his Google Home Mini helped him regain independence, and how it can improve the lives of people living with paralysis.

It’s been nearly 20 years since my life changed—that’s two decades of learning to navigate life in a wheelchair. There are many obstacles for people living with paralysis, so I have to find creative ways to get things done. While I’m more independent than most, there have been times when I couldn’t join my friends for a drink because the bar had steep steps. Or I’ve been on a date where there wasn’t space between tables so everyone had to get up and cause a commotion. 

But some of the greatest challenges and hurdles I face are at home. When you’re paralyzed, your home goes from being a place of comfort and security to a reminder of what you’ve lost. Light switches and thermostats are usually too high up on the wall and, if my phone falls on the floor, I may not be able to call a friend or family member if I need help. These may seem like simple annoyances but, to members of the paralysis community, they reinforce the lack of control and limitations we often face. .... " 

No comments: